If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (912) 285-0724

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Using a Dehumidifier to Keep Mold from Growing

5/22/2018 (Permalink)

There are many culprits that can cause or complicate allergies in a humid climate: mold, mildew, and seasonal allergy issues such as pollen, dust, etc. If you or someone you love suffers from allergies, using a dehumidifier in your home can make a big difference in their health and comfort.

Whether you live in a humid climate, or just in a living space that tends to be humid, such as an older home or apartment, you may be experiencing problems from mold and/or mildew or dust mites. Limited ventilation in places such as basement apartments, or small kitchens or bathrooms can cause moisture to build up, even in the driest of climates. It will only take 24-48 hours for a mold colony to begin growing once the airborne spores find an environment they like!


  • Reduce humidity levels, making your home less inviting to allergens, particularly mold spores.
  • Reduce the possibility that mold will develop on furniture, clothing, and other materials.
  • Help to reduce the unpleasant odors that accompany mold and mildew.
  • Allow you to breathe easier by reducing irritation to your skin and respiratory system.
  • Reduce dust in the home, so you won’t be cleaning and dusting as much.
  • Provides a less humid environment for your home and family, keeping electronics and tools free from rust and corrosion, and even prolonging the shelf life of breads and cereals!
  • Help your clothing dry faster.
  • Lower energy costs, helping your HVAC to run more efficiently. When air in the home is humid, the A/C must work doubly hard by cooling the air AND removing the moisture. Your unit will wear out sooner under that stress.
  • Run quietly and efficiently in the background of daily life. You won’t even notice them.

The SERVPRO team of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas is always available to help with your clean up issues in your home or office. Fire damage, water damage, and mold prevention are just some of our areas of expertise. Call us at (912) 452 2498 or visit our website: SERVPRO of Waycross, Hinesville & Douglas

Other News

View Recent Posts